Boundary Surveying & Mapping

Boundary Surveying & Mapping is the geosciences of providing Licensed Land Surveying Services to determine the accurate boundaries of real property. Read more...

GPS Surveying

We recommend utilizing our GPS surveying services for all surveying service where available (Cell Coverage required) and specifically for those clients who need a FEMA Elevation Certification of LOMA, Aerial surveys or Road construction surveys. Read more...

FEMA / Elevation Certifications  - Flower Brook - Pawlet, Vt

(Photo Credit - Alec Marshal)

Flood Elevation Certificates

If your property is located within a flood hazard zone as determined by FEMA you may be required to complete a flood elevation certificate in order to purchase flood insurance, as a part of the sale of the property or as a part of a new construction or remodeling process for a building. Read more...

Existing Conditions Survey & As-Built Survey

We recommend an As-Built survey for our clients prior to the purchase of a commercial piece of property to insure that what is being listed by the seller or the sellers agent has been listed and described accurately and for any of our clients in the construction community. Read more...


We recommend an ALTA/NSPS Survey clients whose insurers have specific needs related to title insurance matters or those clients that who would like a more detailed survey than above and beyond the typical As-Built survey. Read more...

Topographic Surveying & Mapping

We recommend a topographic survey for our clients who plan on utilizing a Civil Engineer, Architect or Landscape Architects. Read more...

Boundary Line Adjustment

Many towns in Vermont as well as the State of Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation require a boundary line adjustment permit application be prepared and approved prior to any boundary line adjustment is finalized. Read more...

Septic & Well Design

This type of required permitting is called a Wastewater systems and Potable Water Supply Permit or commonly known as a WW permit or Perc testing. Read more...

Permit Preparation

Most towns in Vermont have Zoning and or Subdivision regulations which require approval from the local planning authorities before any land use or development may occur. Some examples which may require a permit include The division of a parcel into two or more parcels; The construction, structural alteration, relocation or enlargement of any building or other structure; Any mining, excavation or land filling of a parcel(s); Any change of use of any building or other structure of land, or any extension of the use of the land.
Water permits | ACT 250


State of Vermont Wastewater Systems and Potable Water Supply Permit

Per Chapter 1 of the Wastewater System and Potable Water Supply Rules, no person shall take or cause to be taken any of the following actions without first obtaining a permit or permit amendment from the Secretary:
  1. The subdivision of a lot or lots;
  2. The construction of a new potable water supply or wastewater system;
  3. The modification or replacement of an existing potable water supply or wastewater system;
  4. The construction of a new building or structure;
  5. The modification of an existing building or structure in a manner that increases the design flow or modifies other operational requirements of a potable water supply or wastewater system;
  6. The connection of an existing potable water supply or wastewater system to a new or modified structure;
  7. The change of use of a building or structure in a manner that increases the design flow or modifies other operational requirements of a potable water supply or wastewater System including the conversion of a single family residence from seasonal to year-round use;
  8. The creation of a campground;
  9. The modification of a campground, including the creation, modification or relocation of one or more individual campsites, in a manner that affects a potable water supply or wastewater system or the requirements for providing potable water and wastewater disposal;
  10. The use or operation of a failed potable water supply or failed wastewater system; or
  11. The commencement of construction of any of the above. For the purposes of this section, commencing construction means any work involving the physical construction or modification of a building or structure and its associated potable water supply or wastewater system including, but not limited to: foundation excavation; foundation or building construction; and site work that involves or may affect any portion of the existing or proposed potable water supply or wastewater system serving the project.

State of Vermont: Act 250 Permit

Act 250 is a comprehensive law that evaluates the impact of a development project under a number of environmental criteria (see the 10 Criteria below). Approximately 600 - 700 Act 250 applications are submitted each year throughout the state. The good news is that approximately 95% of these applications are approved. An Act 250 permit is required for certain categories of development, such as subdivisions of 10 lots or more, commercial projects on more than one acre or ten acres (depending on whether the town has permanent zoning and subdivision regulations), and any development above the elevation of 2,500 feet. If you feel you may trigger the need for an ACT 250 permit, the District Commission must ensure that the development or subdivision satisfies the following 10 criteria:
  1. Will not result in undue water or air pollution.
  2. This criterion deals with water and air pollution generally and such specific matters relating to water pollution as: (A) Headwaters; (B) Waste disposal (including wastewater and stormwater); (C) Water Conservation; (D) Floodways; (E) Streams; (F) Shorelines; and (G) Wetlands.
  3. Has sufficient water available for the needs of the subdivision or development.
  4. Will not unreasonably burden any existing water supply.
  5. Will not cause unreasonable soil erosion or affect the capacity of the land to hold water.
  6. (A) Will not cause unreasonably dangerous or congested conditions with respect to highways or other means of transportation. (B) As appropriate, will incorporate transportation demand management strategies and provide safe access and connections to adjacent lands and facilities and to existing and planned pedestrian, bicycle, and transit networks and services.
  7. Will not create an unreasonable burden on the educational facilities of the municipality.
  8. Will not create an unreasonable burden on the municipality in providing governmental services.
  9. Will not have an undue adverse effect on aesthetics, scenic beauty, historic sites or natural areas, and 8(A) will not imperil necessary wildlife habitat or endangered species in the immediate area.
  10. Conforms with the Capability and Development Plan, including the following considerations:
  11. The impact the project will have on the growth of the town or region: (B) Primary agricultural soils; (C) Productive forest soils; (D) Earth resources; (E) Extraction of earth resources; (F) Energy conservation; (G) Private utility services; (H) Costs of scattered developments; (J) Public utility services; (K) Development affecting public investments; and (L) Settlement Patterns.
  12. Is in conformance with any local or regional plan or capital facilities program

Property Consulting

At Point of Beginning we are very much aware of the required local and state regulations we are operating in. As a Property Consultant we feel confident we can provide you with the proper assistance you may need for whatever kind of project you are looking to do.